Thursday, July 14, 2011

Following Doctor's Orders

I am following my Dr.'s orders... I am supposed to be walking as part of my recovery process... to make sure my lungs are working and clearing. Today was a good day for a walk not too hot and not really raining either. I put on my new hat that one of my friends gave me and grabbed a walking stick, the bug spray and  off into the woods we went. I had no idea at the beginning of this walk that it was going to be so long and hard but it soon became quite obvious to me that what used to be an easy walk for me now was quite a task with this piece of lung missing! The grass had overtaken our usual path through the woods and the blades were up to my eyebrows! It was as hard as walking through a snowstorm. My chest was soon aching and hurting with each breathe but I know that I need this exercise in order to strengthen my lung and to start getting back some energy. I was thankful for the many distractions along the overgrown path. The blackberry bushes are already showing signs of a great season in another month and the apple trees have more apples than I have ever seen on them! Wild strawberries here and there were a nice juicy treat and a few ripe raspberries were tasty as well. No wonder the bears love this property... there are signs of them sleeping here and there where the grass is all trodden down in a huge round circle. It is nice to be able to take a walk on such a quiet piece of land and see so much. It sure beats walking around the block in the city any day of the week! So I guess if this is what the Doctor wants me to do... I will just have to keep on doing it!