Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fibro Facts

One of the many facts of fibro that I deal with on a regular basis is muscle spasms, which can be quite painful. I never realized they were all a part of this disease until recently but I have dealt with them for a long time. I get terrible muscle spasms in my neck, back, legs, and especially my hands and feet. I can be sitting watching TV, minding my own business, when out of the blue, my foot will curl up in an excruciating position and stay that way for quite awhile. My hands do the same thing and look like something out of a horror flick! Thank goodness for my neurologist who prescribed me Tizanidine....it really does work!! It helps to relax the muscles, and since I have been taking it three times a day, the muscle spasms have reduced in frequency.  When they do occur, they are less intense. I have found that relaxing in my hot tub with the jets on really works too, but if you don't have a Jacuzzi tub you could still just soak in a regular tub and get some relief. A heating pad is great on the back and neck too and actually I use it every night for a little while just before I fall asleep. There are so many facets to this Fibromyalgia....muscle spasms are just one little part, but if it is something that your doctor hasn't helped you with yet, you should ask about Tizanidine for real because it really does help!